Friday, January 4, 2013

Chicken Coop - Wilkes-Barre, PA

 
Restaurant: The Chicken Coop
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Date: December 2012
Ordered: 10 Hot Wings
Price: $6.99
Eat In/Take Out: Eat in
 
In talking to people about where to find great wings, the Chicken Coop is certainly one of the more popular restaurants that come up in conversation.  I teamed up with a colleague who insisted that the Chicken Coop offers among the best wings in the area.  Since we are spoiled with great wings in NEPA, that would mean that these wings were among the best in the state and perhaps (cough) the country!  I took him up on his challenge and we visited.  I found the sports bar, which is located on Wilkes-Barre Boulevard near the bowling alley, to be a very cool place to sit, eat and watch a game or just hang out with friends.
 
Since this blog is about wings, and not atmosphere, down to business!  I ordered 10 hot wings.  When they came out, I noticed they were jumbo meaty wings, which was great, and as an added bonus they were cooked to absolute perfection.  By absolute perfection I mean cooked crispy but not so far as to dry out or shrink then wing, where there is still meaty, juicy goodness.  If you have experience cooking wings, you know that there's about a 45 second window to achieve the perfect amount of crispiness!  Anyway, the Chicken Coop clearly found this window.  I thought the sauce was very tasty as well.  It was your basic Franks Red Hot, Butter, and whatever other ingredient, but it was well done, had good consistency, and stuck to the wing, which is what I look for in a good sauce.  For a hot sauce, I found the wing to be a bit mild, so if you like them really hot, you might want to bump up the heat a bit and consult one of the seemingly endless flavors that are offered!
I highly recommend the chicken coop both for a cool sports bar to hang out at and for the amazing wings that they offer.  Kudos to my colleague and the many other people who suggested the Chicken Coop as one of the best wing locations in the 570.  I Agree!
 
Sauce Quality: 4.5/5
Proper Amount of Sauce: 4/5
Sauce Heat Accuracy: 3.75/5
Overall Taste: 5/5
Size of Wings: 4.5/5
Crispy/Cooked Properly: 5/5
Overall Value: 4/5
OVERALL RATING: 4.25/5
 
(Please note that the picture above is not flattering due to the oversized salad bowl making the wings look small and my cell phone camera not capturing the color of the wings in the low light. They looked much better in person!)

Chicken Coop Incorporated on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment